Monday, March 17, 2014

Lemon Lifestyle

Guest Blogger, Tony Godek, Human Resources and Administrative Manager at Hunger Free Vermont



I have to admit, I was pretty excited when I chose lemons as my blog ingredient for nutrition month. Lemons are a fruit that just make me smile. They conjure up visions of summer, spring cleaning (that’s my OCD side coming out), one very funny lady, and some of my favorite cocktails. Oh, and let’s not forget the ridiculously cute faces babies make when they try a lemon for the first time.

What most people don’t realize is that lemons have tons of health benefits. Not only are lemons packed with vitamin C (which helps keep the immune system strong to help fight infections, especially important during this time of the year), they are also a good source of calcium, iron, potassium and fiber. This seemingly ordinary fruit encourages healthy digestion, flushes toxins from your body by stimulating your liver, nourishes brain and nerve cells, gives you an energy boost, and its scent helps reduce anxiety and depression (it’s no wonder they make me smile!). 

A few years ago, I stumbled across an article about the health benefits of drinking lemon water, and it was then that I began living - what my friends and I like to call - the Lemon Lifestyle. It all started with having a morning glass of warm lemon and ginger water (just squeeze the juice from half a lemon into a glass of warm water and drink on an empty stomach for a great way to jump-start your day), and adding a couple of lemon slices to my water bottle to help make sure I was getting my 8 glasses of H2O a day. I started using lemons so much that they quickly became a staple in my kitchen, and I found myself buying Costco-sized bags of lemons and using them in every way I could imagine. From tangy dressings and dips, to marinades, to simply roasting or saut̩ing some of my favorite veggies like Brussels Sprouts, asparagus, and snap peas with lemon РI really embraced this tasty fruit.


Almost everything tastes better with lemon, yet it’s too often the unsung hero in so many dishes - the supporting actor that shines in an award-winning movie whose name never ends up in lights. I came across this slow cooker recipe for Greek Lemon and Rice Soup that I’m dying to try, since the lemon finally gets to play a leading role (and because I love my slow cooker). For Meatless Monday, just substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth. It’s the perfect soup for a chilly March day to remember that summer is just around the corner.



This immune-boosting, detoxifying, mood elevator is available throughout the year, so there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be using these little yellow spheres of happiness in your dishes every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment