Friday, March 28, 2014

Beet It! My New Favorite Salad on a 3SquaresVT Budget

Guest Blogger, Angela Smith-Dieng, 3SquaresVT Advocacy Manger at Hunger Free Vermont


As a working mom of two young children, I am always looking for relatively quick and easy ways to get healthy foods onto the dinner table for my family.  Last fall, just as my CSA turned into a heavy basket of root veggies, I discovered a great recipe for a root veggie salad that incorporates kale, carrots and beets with a sweet and tangy dressing.  I love how colorful it is with the bright red beets and deep orange carrots contrasted by the dark green kale.  I love that so many good nutrients come with those colors, like the B vitamins, folate, and potassium in the beets.  I love that it tastes awesome.  Most of all, I love that my six-year-old loves it too!

I’ve made this salad many times now for different community gatherings.  I keep going back to it not only because it’s easy, healthy and a hit, but because it’s easy on the budget, too.  Kale, carrots and beets are plentiful in Vermont’s cold winters so stay relatively inexpensive at the grocery store. While the recipe calls for nuts and dried fruit, they aren’t necessary, and the dressing can be modified to use different oil or vinegar depending on what you have on hand.
 

For many Vermonters, especially those on 3SquaresVT benefits, the food budget is extremely tight, and cost is a major concern when it comes to planning a meal.  It’s nice to find a recipe that’s healthy, local and affordable at the same time.  I look forward to making this salad just a few more times before the season changes and spring greens come back to Vermont!

No comments:

Post a Comment