Wednesday, March 26, 2014

It's Snack Time, for Apple's Sake

Guest Blogger, Anna Kaufman, Anti-Hunger & Opportunity Corps –VISTA at Hunger Free Vermont

One thing I love about apples is that they are available locally ALL year long in Vermont. With such a short growing season for most fruits and vegetables, it’s delightful to be able to purchase a local fruit staple during these long winter months. Apples also come in all sorts of fun varieties, are relatively inexpensive, and can be stored for up to six weeks in the refrigerator!

I recently started working at HFVT as an AmeriCorps VISTA; I’ll just make my point quick and simple- I’m living on a tight budget.  As someone who typically devotes a large sum of money to fruits and vegetables weekly, I’ve been finding my trips to the grocery store a bit more challenging than normal. I’m in the process of learning how to shop on a budget while continuing to eat a diet plentiful with nutritious fruits and vegetables.  Thankfully, apples come in very handy in this situation. 


 


Aside from being local and inexpensive, apples are highly nutritious! They are full of dietary fiber, B complex vitamins, vitamin C, iron, and a handful of other minerals and phytonutrients. The fiber content helps to ensure a healthy colon, while the nutrient density in apples help to lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure as well as stabilize blood sugar.  Most of the fiber and antioxidants are in the peel of the apple, so I always wash it well and eat the whole fruit!

There are so many delicious apple recipes, but I have to admit my favorite way to eat apples is for snack time. When eaten on an empty stomach, apples (and fruits in general) help jumpstart the digestive process by getting the stomach juices flowing. I’ve learned that the stomach is better able to process and absorb the nutrients when eaten alone. So when your stomach starts growling mid-morning or afternoon, try slicing up an apple and pair it with your favorite nut butter like I do! With that said, eating fruit anytime is better than not eating it J

No comments:

Post a Comment