Thursday, March 13, 2014

Artichokes, Madonna, and Growing Up on Long Island

Guest Blogger, Monica Taylor, Donor Relations Manager at Hunger Free Vermont





I grew up on the south shore of Long Island, most of my “formative years” taking place during the 1980’s.  Ah, the 80’s…big hair, shoulder pads, The Cosby Show, Duran Duran, MTV (when they only showed videos) – these are just a few of the things that I remember making a huge impression on me as I entered my teen years.  At this time in my life it was just my mom, two sisters and I; my dad had died from a heart attack at age 43.  This meant many things for the family.  One thing in particular was that my mother needed to enter the work world (for the first time in her life) to support us.  She did many things, some she did better than others, but eventually found her niche in sales.  For years in the early days she traveled a lot and that meant I cared for myself (my two older sisters were away at college), which at the time, I loved.  I had a lot of independence and felt grown up. 

As we know, feeling grown up is entirely different from being grown up.  Thankfully, I lived a pretty sedate life and my choices were “good enough”, and with luck on my side I navigated these years without incident.  But if I could pick one area that I would have benefitted from more guidance, I’d say it would have been with the foods that I ate as a teen.  Convenience for me was paramount.  Throughout my years in high school I could have single-handedly kept Lean Cuisine profitable.  Back then the “new technology” allowed you to cook your plastic-encased dinner sack in a pot of boiling water.  Sounds delicious, right?  It was not till many years later, after college that I (thankfully) came to the realization that what I was eating wasn’t really food.  I mean it was food, but not the kind of food that I was beginning to understand was going to keep me healthy and feeling good.  It might make my insides glow with all that ingested plastic, but that is a different story.

So in my mid-20’s I began to embrace “all things food”.   I stopped using the microwave and began actually cooking. I began to see how  as simple as it may sound, I was what I ate, and I began to try to consistently make good food choices, do it on a budget, and have a sense of adventure with what I ate.  This is where artichokes come into the story. 

My Aunt Millie is a fabulous cook.  Pages and pages could be written of her expertise in the kitchen, but again, that is another story.  One holiday shortly after my food epiphany, she made stuffed artichokes.  They were like eating a little bit of heaven.  I had known what artichokes were, but had not eaten them before and certainly had never entertained the idea of cooking them!  I had eaten canned artichoke hearts and let me say that these are nothing like a fresh artichoke!  So with my new kernel of food confidence, I asked my aunt for the recipe.  Always happy to share her love of food, she jotted estimations and ballparks down on piece of paper and sent me on my way.  I did not know at the time that by “cheese” she meant parmesan, and that a “handful” of breadcrumbs and “just eyeball the amount” of oil, that these were not the easiest steps to gauge for the new cook.

I wish I could say that when I set out to make the stuffed artichokes that first time (or second or third) that they were great – but they weren’t.  They were sort of raw if I remember correctly.  I also did not want to use the same amount of oil and butter that the recipe called for so my riff on her recipe resulted in a sorry excuse for the original delicacy that I enjoyed that holiday.  But I did keep the recipe and from time to time tried it again, and again, and got it to a point that I became happy with it.  Turns out my sister has a true love for Aunt Millie’s stuffed artichokes and because distance has kept us from having the real thing for years (Aunt Millie still cooks up a storm, but just on LI), I will make them for my sister from time to time and we’ll enjoy them together.  Inevitably we think of something from growing up on Long Island – and laugh.  

Recently, my soon to be teenaged daughter tried them and liked them too.  She was a bit annoyed at all the work that is involved with eating them, but I figure she’ll grow to appreciate that part of the process eventually.  I’ve included a link to a recipe for stuffed artichokes that is basically identical to my version of Aunt Millie’s.  Perhaps you’ll give the recipe a try this month in honor of Nutrition Month!  Artichokes are high in fiber, are a good source of folic acid and vitamin C.  Amazingly, I find they taste best with some Madonna, circa 1989, playing in the background…

No comments:

Post a Comment